Serving on a Bellberry HREC provides a front row seat to some of the most exciting science in the country and around the world. The rigorous scientific and ethical review process of human research is conducted in a professional, respectful and supportive environment.
See what some of our pharmacology and toxicology members have to say about Bellberry HREC membership.
Meetings are generally held on a Wednesday evening with the flexibility of time commitment which can be tailored for each individual. Presently meetings are fully remote.
Members of our scientific review panel are invited to join HREC meetings with studies within their area of expertise and interest. As such, the time commitment is variable. Some panel members join a Bellberry HREC meeting 3 or 4 times a year, others may join 12 or 20 times.
Non-scientific members may be rostered to a regular monthly HREC meeting or attend on an ad hoc basis, depending on personal preference and Bellberry need.
Qualities and experience required includes:
- The ability to communicate well, including the capacity to listen to and appreciate the views of others, to formulate and express a considered opinion
- Sound computer skills
Knowledge and experience favourably considered for scientific members [NS category (c) and (f)] includes:
- Knowledge and understanding of scientific and methodological requirements of research protocols
- Recent or current involvement in conducting research, particularly clinical trials relating to drugs or devices, epidemiology or behavioural/social science research
- Knowledge and understanding of the National Statement
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant national and international documents/guidelines relating to clinical research, eg TGA, GMP, EMA, FDA
- Understanding of the TGA and how it relates to clinical research
- Relevant clinical experience and formal qualification/s to practice in Australia (medical members)
Categories of membership per National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (2007 incorporating all updates) 5.1.30.
Members access all relevant study documents, investigator and committee correspondence online. Only new studies are discussed at HREC meetings with amendments managed online out of session.
Proposals are available to review 12 calendar days prior to a meeting. Post meeting matters and ongoing items are required to be dealt with promptly within a 48 hour period.
A thorough induction process is provided for new members with ongoing 24/7 support available. We offer comprehensive CPD and networking opportunities including internal events, and financial support for attendance at external events.
If you are interested in becoming a Bellberry HREC member please complete and submit the Committee Member Application Form.
If you would like further information, please call the Member Team on 08 8361 3222 or email email@example.com
Member Manager: Cathy Stevens
Member Coordinator: Molly Wundenberg